Saturday, February 20, 2021

Vincent Kriechmayr wins downhill to secure speed double at Alpine Worlds

 Vincent Kriechmayr was unbeatable on the brand-new Vertigine race piste in Cortina d'Ampezzo to win downhill gold at the FIS Alpine World Ski Championships on Sunday (14 February), completing the speed double. Having won Watch World Juniors hockey online  the Super-G on Thursday, the Austrian came into the race full of confidence. He picked bib number one, becoming the first man to race a downhill on the Vertigine in competition, and dominated 2021 World Junior Alpine Skiing Championships Live  in clear conditions with hard, grippy snow. With last year's World Cup Finals (which should have served as a test event for the piste) cancelled, the field only had two training runs earlier this week to get used to the 2610m-long course, with its average slope of 31 per cent.

Click Here to Watch Live

Click Here to Watch Live



Hermann Maier is an Austrian legend and Bode Miller is a legend too, of course," Kriechmayr told FIS after his run. "It was a really special race today, with bib number one it wasn't so easy and it looks like it was good enough for the victory today. An amazing race." Speaking to Eurosport, he added: "It's pretty amazing, it was a difficult race. It was not perfect, I lost a lot of time on the last part of the race but I was pretty fast on the middle part. It was good enough, and that's it. "Yes, of course I had my medal, I already had a medal and How to Watch 2021 World Junior Alpine Skiing Championships Live  I wanted to show my best today. "I always was a fan of these two guys but to be on the same step as them is amazing," he said of comparisons to Maier and Miller. Silver medallist Sander, who continued Germany's run of silver medals at the Championships, told Eurosport: "Just one-hundredth, I saw it and I was like 'uh-oh, that could be... hopefully it's not for a medal'. "I saw the time, it was really fast, 1:37, and then I thought maybe it was a good one. "I was feeling good, I was really in shape and felt good. I felt like maybe I could do it and cause a surprise. I felt it at the start. In the end, super happy."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vincent Kriechmayr wins downhill to secure speed double at Alpine Worlds

 Vincent Kriechmayr was unbeatable on the brand-new Vertigine race piste in Cortina d'Ampezzo to win downhill gold at the FIS Alpine Wor...